Q&A and answering some questions

I decided to answer questions from my Ask or where personally messaged to me:

Q: What happened with the Columbus Burlesque Collective?
 Well, I really don't want to go into it that much because that is a chapter that is now closed for me. It was one of those things where I thought I was with artists who supported one another, yet it turned out to be completely opposite. It has really changed how I view burlesque all together and if it is something I want to continue with. But, how it all played out putting that much time and energy into something; yes, without noticed I was removed no one even spoke to me about it until I read the comments on my blog about any issues. But, I do wish them all the best but honestly, glad that chapter is done. I don't think I will ever become involved with a troupe/group again however; I am sticking to being an full independent artist.
Q: Will you continue to perform?
Yes. When, not certain. I am in talks to perform again but I like having this break; it gave me a chance to put things in perspective plus I also returned to my studies. It is a balance, you know? I figured all this energy put into my future which is long lasting and rewarding further on down the road.
Q: What is Tinker Box?
Tinker Box Caberet was something I was thinking of for quite some time. It is more than a "troupe" the idea was the provide an image for women mainly women who are "different" than mainstream burlesque. I see it all the time where minority women aren't appreciated or taken seriously in burlesque at least where I live now. It is one of those things were you don't have to be platinum blonde, super thin I always thought burlesque was about empowering women and giving women something to feel good about. This is the very reason I became a burlesque performer because there aren't many women who look like me performing. Think it would be nice to see other performers who are Native, Asian, African-American, Biracial performing, we need a voice too.

Q: What is with the spelling?
The spelling as with the concept my Goddaughter actually spelled it that way and I thought it was one of the most precious things; also when I was thinking of the design and the "e" is flipped or an upside down "a" in reverse because it is a reverse of what we know of "mainstream" burlesque. I know so many people made fun of or criticized the spelling but goes to show what they know, right?

Q: Do you hate burlesque?
I have a love/hate relationship with burlesque. Yes, I love performing, the costuming, the choreography but there is an ugliness inside of it. I have heard many performers say, "we empower other women" yet those are the same ones who send me hate messages or tell me what a crappy performer I am. Funny thing is majority of the performer who say how terrible I am never actually seen me perform or have done anything with me all. That is what I hate about it, the fakeness and hypocrisy

Q: What is on your playlist?
What is on my playlist....I'm very eclectic so it can be Migos/Drake one minute and Marilyn Manson the next, I have been discovering a lot of music from my friends who are making new music, they are so talented and absolutely proud of them in every way.

Q: Favorite number to perform?
Stars Dance. I love the concept behind it and yes it is an occult theme to it. Probably the others are the new numbers I have been working on they're completely different and I can actually be myself and not worry about being a performer I am not. I can be dark and not have pressure to be bubble gum or a ghetto hip hop queen.

Q: Feelings about ballet?
I absolutely love ballet. I started when I was six years old. I still take lessons and I also do modern dance and bellydance. They help me with performing and always will be a ballerina, don't care what anyone says.

Q: Do you feel like you're ageist?
A: Not at all, and my comments were completely misconstrued. I never said because of a certain age a person can't perform however when you are in an industry where you're selling your sexuality or yourself as a sex symbol it isn't very long lasting and that is a fact of life. I also feel when a person is 10 to 15 years older than I am or close to 50 that says quite a bit when they are sending someone my age messages about how I look or I need to kill myself, etc. I'm like who does that? So yes, a lot of immaturity emotionally and if they perceived that as ageist then that is them.

Q: What about the comments about being better than everyone?
A: I don't think I am, reading back that comment I sort of feel like that is a comment which came from jealousy. It's like "you studied ballet, you think you're better"

Q: Are you religious?
A: I consider myself more spiritual than religious. Spirituality has always been an important part of who I am and always will be. I am an Eastern Orthodox Christian and not ashamed to admit it. I think people need some sort of belief system it teaches us about life in general and how to be, that inner peace. Think a lot of people just aren't happy with themselves they need something to blame or push the negativity on.

Comments

Popular Posts